Old Ottawa: Signs You Need a Masonry Expert
Ottawa is a historic Canadian city in a region where older Victorian homes meet new modern developments. With its own share of character, Ottawa has neighbourhoods such as the Glebe, Sandy Hill and Old Ottawa South. The simple yet statuesque homes in these areas were largely built in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, when red brick was the surface material of choice.
We all love the charm and warmth of historic brick buildings, but sometimes brick homes in Ottawa require expert masonry repairs. Consequently, the services of a foundation contractor may be necessary for waterproofing and other related work. Luckily, our team at Bol-Dan offers free estimates and has the unique skills and experience with masonry to assess your property and make the right recommendations to restore your home.
Four signs you may need masonry repairs for your Ottawa home:
- Cracks in masonry. The slightest crack in your home’s masonry or brickwork demands immediate attention. If left unattended, water infiltration and freeze-thaw cycles will likely lead to far more damage and expensive repairs down the road.
- Interior issues. Moisture buildup on the inside of your walls and ceilings, noticing drafts, deformed windows and cracks in the plaster are all signs that you may be in need of masonry repairs.
- Missing mortar. Brick walls typically need to be repointed every 15 to 20 years, but several factors may require you to do so more often. Be sure to hire only experienced masons to fill in or repair the joints of your brickwork! Using the wrong type of mortar and applying it improperly may lead to early wear.
- Your chimney. Don’t let your chimney deteriorate! Damaged chimneys are a genuine fire hazard. Signs your chimney needs looking after include: flaking (or spalling) brick, cracks in the chimney crown, bits of flue tile piling up at the bottom of your chimney, a rusted firebox (or damper), and deteriorating mortar.
And what about your foundation?
Three signs you may need the services of an expert foundation contractor for your Ottawa home:
- Water infiltration. If you notice water seeping into your basement or your walls crumbling, this is a surefire sign that your foundation needs waterproofing.
- Problematic mortar joints. The spaces between bricks, stone and concrete are called mortar joints. When your house was first built, all mortar joints were perfectly levelled; however, your home’s foundation settles with time. If you notice mortar joints that are slanted or cracked, call a foundation contractor in Ottawa for a consultation.
- Interior issues. Uneven floors, sticky windows or cracks in the plaster may be symptomatic of a settling foundation. Thankfully, a foundation contractor in Ottawa can help!
If you are concerned about the state of your masonry or foundation then Contact BOL-DAN for a free estimate! Whether it’s masonry work or foundation repair and waterproofing you need, Bol-Dan is happy to be of service.
Contact us today!